Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Texan Food

Next, I decided to make something that I would actually eat, tortillas. I love to make tacos and tortillas, because it is quick and easy to make. I enjoy the ability to put what ever you want into this 5-10 inch little hard or soft shells. So, when I was reading and saw a recipe for Fresh Corn Tortillas   I knew I had to make them. As I was reading what I needed, I kept on coming upon for the ingredients water and more water, which I knew water was important, but he (Robb Walsh) was really saying use as much water as needed. I was also surprised that I only need 3 ingredients to make the tortillas.

  1. 2 cups of masa harnia
  2. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  3. 1 1/4 cups of warm water, plus more as needed.
I then needed to cut of clean plastic shopping bags, in which I needed two to make 8 inch circles. Then I used a bowl to mix all of the ingredients will gradually adding more water as needed. I continued to mix till the ingredients started to form a ball. One thing that I founded very important was that you let the dough sit for 20 minutes with a damp, not wet, but damp tea towel and it shouldnt become stiff during that period (Walsh). I then divided the dough into 10 even portions and formed each portion into a ball shape. Note, the ball should weigh 2 ounces. Then with a rolling pin flatten the ball into a circle shape which should be 5 inches in diameter and 1/8 of an inch thick. I actually decided to use a ruler and closely measure the tortillas, to make sure it was the right size. Mostly because I had not seen this strict instruction before. Could I substitute the masa harina with regular flour and would it taste and bake the same?

My finished Tortiallias

Walsh, Robb. Texas Eats. New York: Ten Speed, 2012. Print